Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Crested Pigeon

I wish I could supplement my bird watching posts with photographs, but I'm always too absorbed trying to get a closer look at bird details to reach for my camera and grab pictures. I guess I could take pictures off the web, but they wouldn't be an exact reflection of what I saw. It's like trying to tell your story with other people's photographs. It's never the same.

I have a greater inclination towards those birds being Dusky Moorhens now, even though I haven't had much of a detailed enough look yet. Yet, the memory that I have of the look of their head leans more towards the Dusky Moorhens-inclination.

On to new birds sighted: this time it's a Crested Pigeon. I'm quite sure of it since it's the only pigeon of that colour with a crest. The crest is upright, long and slender, splitting into a fork as it points upwards. It was a shy creature, feeding solitary on the ground just outside Mercy Hospital. I've seen it previously among the grassland on the Werribee campus as well. It's wings are brown with black bars, with white brushes nearer the end. Its tail flips up, and tips white as well. It's legs are red, and so are the circles around its eyes.

[Edit: Photo taken and added! Lousy quality but that's the best my cam could capture. You can almost just see the 'crest' on its head.]