Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Confusion of the Hens

I chanced upon those Purple Swamphens again. This time they were closer to the sidewalk, so I got a closer look - their foliage were indeed purple under the light. It was a family of 4. What a rare chance to see such a range of ages of one species! The male was clearly the one with the brighter plumage. He was nearest the sidewalk protecting his brood, and eyed me warily when I slowed down to look at them. The female with her duller plumage was with her 2 chicks. One was a hatchling, small and cute like a chick at the market, and all dull and fluffy. The other was a juvenile, with plumage a strange mixture of purple and brown.

However, after a browse on the internet for Purple Swamphens and Dusky Moorhens, I can't quite tell them apart! Much less identify my birds. Honestly my birds look more Dusky Moorhens now. Looks like I need to be equipped with my camera tmr and see if I can do these Hens some justice.